1. WaterTech Capital of Europe
2. Complete chain of innovation
3. Access to EU & international markets
4. Breeding ground for technological partnerships
5. Access to talent & highly skilled labor
1.WaterTech Capital of Europe
The city of Leeuwarden, in the TopDutch region, is the European breeding ground for business and innovation in WaterTech and globally recognized as WaterTech Capital of Europe.
- Home to WaterCampus. WaterCampus Leeuwarden is the European focal point of WaterTech, connecting scientific research, applied research and business. Over 25 companies are based at the WaterCampus itself and the campus is directly connected to over 200 companies.
- European node of international water technologies network. WaterCampus Leeuwarden collaborates with 21 European universities and research institutes and five regions outside of Europe in the Global WaterTech Hub Alliance.
- Globally recognized as European Capital of WaterTech. In September 2018, the Global WaterTech Hub Alliance was established to foster international collaboration between regional hubs of WaterTech Innovation. European Alliance partner is WaterAlliance, the Dutch industry network that, as part of WaterCampus, accelerates innovation and business in sustainable water technologies.
2. Complete chain of innovation
WaterCampus offers a complete chain of innovation: from science, to applied research and business, all from one attractive business location.
- We perform cutting edge scientific research, spearheaded by science partner Wetsus, the European Center of Excellence for Sustainable Water Technologies.
- We offer state-of-the-art applied research facilities, for tests from lab-scale to full-scale units including knowledge and expertise from our universities of applied sciences. The Center of Expertise Water Technology (CEW), supports businesses in the steps from applied science to ready-to-market product development.
- We have a vibrant business community brought together in industry network and by managing partner WaterAlliance. WaterAlliance accelerates business development worldwide.
- We facilitate, support and connect every single step in the innovation chain: ideation, fundamental research, developing applications, product testing, marketing and launches, cooperation, international matchmaking opportunities and identifying export opportunities and new market demand - all in one chain.
1. Market demand
- Direct access to European market via the European Hub location
- Access to international market via Global Water Tech Hub Alliance
- World class education & lifelong learning
- Yearly waterSEED challenge
- Two Global WaterTech Hub Alliance challenges
- Pre-seed funding available
- 24 research themes
- >100 research projects
- 83 patent applications
- 33 spin-offs
4. Water Application Center
- Six applied research themes
- Unique triple helix collaboration
- Four physical facilities available
5. Demo sites
- Five demo sites
6. Launching customer
- Launching government
- Three incubator programs
- Three business funding partners
- 237 network partners
- 109 international projects
- 5 international hub partners
- 18 organized events
- 35 international conferences
- 29 received company & 16 trade visits
- 75% companies exporting activities
- Export quote WaterTech: 35-40%
3. Access to European and international markets
We have the best network to provide you access to the European and international markets.
- Connect with European WaterTech partners via your European business network partner WaterAlliance. WaterAlliance is one of the 50 international partners in the Enterprise Europe Network (EEN), connecting tens of thousands of European SMEs. The EEN supports SMEs worldwide seeking international collaboration or who are interested in entering new markets.
- Connect with global WaterTech partners via WaterAlliance, your European partner in the Global WaterTech Hub Alliance. WaterAlliance can provide you with direct access to industry networks of the Global WaterTech Hubs in the US (Milwaukee), Singapore, China (Jiangsu), Israel (Mekorot) and Korea (Daegu).
- Explore matchmaking opportunities, via the many international conferences, visits and other matchmaking events organized, supported or highlighted by the WaterAlliance.
4. A breeding ground for new technological partnerships
Become technology partner in turn-key water management solution projects in the Northern Netherlands.
Partner up with Wetsus in one of its scientific research programs. Wetsus’ research is carried out within the framework of Technological Top Institute for WaterTechnology, part of the Dutch Innovation Program on Water Technology. Leading researchers from various universities work together in the Wetsus laboratory on the following research programs:
- Sustainable water supply (focus areas: applied water physics, priority compounds, groundwater technology, biofilms, smart water grids, virus control).
- Waste water treatment and reuse (focus areas: advanced water treatment, sulfur, source separated sanitation, concentrates, natural flocculants).
- Sensoring of micro/nano pollutants (focus areas: sensoring, genomics-based water quality monitoring).
- Reuse of components and production of energy (focus areas: blue energy, protein from water, phosphate recovery, sustainable carbon cycle, soil, biopolymers from water, resource recovery).
- New water sources (focus areas: dehydration, desalienation, capacitive deionization, natural water production.
Partner up with CEW in one of its applied research or product development tracks. Develop your first prototype, set up a pilot, accelerate the innovation cycle and shorten your time to market in one of the tracks offered by CEW:
- Water saving & reuse.
- Water & Energy.
- Nutrients & Agriculture.
- Industrial water processing.
Partner up with international technology partners via WaterAlliance. Our business network can set up matchmaking activities with the best technology partners in the TopDutch region, in Europe and around the world.
Partner up to develop turn-key water management solutions. Different companies and different industries require a unique mix of highly specialized water technologies to be implemented in their industrial chain in their efforts to realize the most sustainable water system and management. WaterCampus and WaterAlliance are the best partners to connect you to technology partners for turn-key water management solution projects.
5. Access to talent & highly skilled labor
The TopDutch region offers a lifelong learning program in WaterTech to develop a highly skilled workforce that enable international companies to realize their growth ambitions.
- Lifelong learning program, starting at primary education and going up to PhD and MBA level. Unique for the WaterCampus in the TopDutch region is its extensive education program offering education to students at all levels and ages.
- Developing highly skilled talent. Being a highly specialized industry, the WaterTech Capital of Europe produces on average 40 highly and uniquely skilled graduates per year.
- Access to talent connected to your growth ambitions via WaterJobs: the WaterAlliance has set up the WaterJobs portal, connecting its industry network companies’ growth ambitions with (specialized) talent looking for new challenges. With talent being key to business development, WaterAlliance is a supportive partner smoothening the development of your business in the WaterTech industry.